Welcome to 6th class!
Our teacher is Mr. Kavanagh.
We enjoy learning and try to work to our potential doing the best we can. We respect ourselves, one another and our school.
- We read books for enjoyment and to become better readers.
- We use our reading skills in reading class and during D.E.A.R. time (Drop Everything and Read).
- At present we are learning about making predictions.
- We learn to write different genres and are mastering writing recounts now.
- We also learn speaking and listening skills as well as spellings and good grammar.
- We learn new maths skills all the time!
- We practise our mental maths skills like tables and rounding to estimate adding and subtracting.
- We work on maths topics to practise our skills.
- Now we are practising Place Value, Addition and Subtraction.
- We learn to communicate with each other through Irish.
- At present we are learning to talk about ourselves and ask about others.
- We are learning to say our name, age, address, where we were born, our hair colour, eye colour and talk about our families.
- We also study History, Geography, Science, Visual Arts, P.E., Music, S.P.H.E. (Social, Personal and Health Education), Drama and Religious Education.
Where do we find the time??
Welcome to 5th Class!
Our teacher is Ms. Leonard
In our classroom we are a team. We respect each other, we help each other and we work very hard.
- We love to do Maths and we especially love our Maths games to help us with our tables.
- Tables Jenga is our favourite!
- In English we are learning how to write a recount and we are sharing all the lovely times we had over the holidays in our writing portfolios!
- Gaeilge is a great time in our classroom, we try to use ‘cúpla focal’ as much as we can.
- Our motto is ‘Is fearr le Gaeilge briste ná Béarla cliste”. Is é Deir ó Grádaigh an cluiche is fearr linn!
- We are so interested in SESE in our class.
- We are learning all about the counties and provinces in Ireland.
- In music we are learning all about body percussion!
- It can get noisy sometimes but that’s music!
SPHE and PE:
- We enjoy SPHE and PE and we have some super artists in our class too!
- We work hard all week in our groups to earn points to become the VIP table for the following week!
- Team work is so important to us and we love to co-operate and share our learning with each other!
- We love our calm corner!
- Some people get to cosy up in our calm corner for DEAR (Drop Everything and Read) time each day.
- If we are worried or feel sick it's nice to take a break in the calm corner!
Book List St. Coen’s Rathnew - 6th Class 2020-2021
- Abair Liom G €19.10
- Foclóir Irish / English Dictionary €11.99
- Mathemagic 6 €21.65
- Tables Book (CJ Fallon) €2.35
- Tables Champions 6 €4.44
- New Wave Mental Maths 5th €8.99
- Reading Zone Smart Ice Cream €18.20
- All Write Now Cursive D (Folens) €8.04
- My Write At Home Book 6 (CJ Fallon) €11.93
- Exercise your English 6 €10.95
- Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian Novel €8
- Oxford Dictionary €13.50
- Oxford Thesaurus €12.50
- English in Practise 5th Prime Ed – €7.86
- History Quest 5 €12.85
- Geography Quest 6 €12.85
- Hardback Science Copy Carried forward from 5th
- Science Quest 6 €12.85
- Grow in Love for 6th Class €15.99
- 4 x 120 page copy €0.56 each
- 4 x 88 page Sum Copy €0.50 each
- 1 x A4 Plastic Folders €0.45
- 2 x Blue pens, 2 x Red pens €0.20 each
- Pk of 12 Colouring Pencils Faber Castell €3.34
- 30 cm Ruler €0.45
- Eraser €0.36 each
- Pencil sharpener €0.25 each
- 1 x A4 Refill pad €1.12
- 4 x Pencils €0.25 each
- 1 Homework Journal €1
- Box €3